Bill and I have been trying to lose weight, so we haven’t had any sweets for 6 weeks now. This is one of our yummy desserts we miss. I thought some of you I’m-already-thin-and-don’t-have-to-watch-calories folks might enjoy it.
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. milk
1 large egg
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. chopped nuts, if desired (Bill does, I don’t)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
2. In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat; remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla, milk, and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in pan.
3. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack.
4. Drizzle with Chocolate Glaze (below) and cut into 4 rows while warm.
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 T. butter or margarine
2 T. corn syrup
1 to 2 tsp. hot water
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup over low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate chips are melted. Cool about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until consistency of thick syrup.